In this post I will list some of the pros and cons of surrogacy before I spend some more time talking about surrogate mother cost in Delhi, India. Not to give too much away too soon, I would still like to briefly mention that surrogacy is completely safe, cost-effective and legal in India, and specifically in Delhi. Before I get into the pros and cons of surrogacy, as well as the surrogate mother cost in Delhi, let me first discuss the general definition and some basic information in regards to surrogacy pregnancies.
A surrogacy is an arrangement - agreement between two expecting parents and another woman (surrogate mother), to carry their baby in her womb until birth. Thereafter, the surrogate mother is expected to hand over the baby to the parents according to the laws of the country in which the baby was born. There are two types of surrogacy procedures. These are:
- gestational surrogacy - where an embryo is transplanted in the surrogate mother, which means that the child will not be genetically related to the surrogate mother in any way.
- traditional surrogacy - where the surrogate mother is impregnated naturally or artificially through the father’s semen, resulting in a child who is genetically related with the surrogate mother.
PROS AND CONS OF SURROGACY
Before considering a surrogate pregnancy, it is advisable to weigh the pros and cons of surrogacy. While a surrogate pregnancy may be the last hope of parenthood for a childless couple, it does not mean that they should go in blind and not consider some of the benefits and demerits of the procedure(s). After all, every parent has certain expectations for their child and the manner of childbirth is most certainly an important consideration in this regard. The following is a list of some of the more general pros and cons of surrogacy. They will help you to better ascertain if a surrogate pregnancy is right for you.
- The last hope: Childless couples may have no other option at parenthood other than that of a surrogacy pregnancy. The fact that they do still have an option, when all other ones may have failed, often brings joy and relief to the expecting parents. No matter what obstacles are preventing them from getting pregnant, a surrogacy can be the one promising procedure that can actually provide them with the opportunity to bring a child into this world.
- A chance for same sex couples: Obviously, surrogacy is one of the only options for same-sex couples who wish to have a child. Even if the child is genetically half theirs, the ability to raise and bring up a child in a loving environment exceeds the opposite ramification: having no child at all!
- Male or female infertility is not a problem: In the case of an infertile father or mother, surrogacy pregnancies can still provide the couple with a child of their own. As was stated earlier, there are two types of surrogacy pregnancies where either the father donates his sperm or the mother donates her embryo. In either case, a child will be born as a result, regardless of the fertility issue experienced by either partner.
- Safe procedure: In a traditional surrogacy the method adopted can be natural or artificial. In the case of the former, it is done the way nature intended it to be done, albeit with a different partner. Therefore, there is no fear of complications ensuing as a result - that is as long as the couple is willing to have a child who is genetically related to the surrogate mother. During an artificial transfer, the semen is administered through a particular medical procedure, which is relatively harmless to the surrogate mother (and of course quite easy for the donor - the father). The gestational procedure is a bit more complicated, but with the advent of modern medicine there are less complications and discomforts. It should be mentioned here that the gestational surrogacy process at present has been made much more comfortable for both the donating mother and the surrogate mother, although some discomfort may still be felt by either party.
- Cost-effective: In many medically-advanced nations in the East, surrogate pregnancy is offered at a fraction of the cost of what it would be if done in nations like the U.S. or the U.K. For example, in nations such as India, locating a surrogate mother and performing a traditional or gestational surrogacy procedure is uncomplicated, less expensive and most importantly, safe.
- Socially unacceptable: Other members of the family and society may not share the same enthusiasm in regards to a surrogate child as the parents do, especially in the case of same-sex couples.
- No going back: Once the fertilization has taken place, there will be no chance to change your mind. According to most surrogate laws, the parents must accept full responsibility of the child while in the surrogate mother’s womb and after it has been born (these include both financial and moral responsibilities).
- Flimsy laws: In countries with less stringent surrogate laws (not including India), the surrogate mother can change her mind and decide to keep the child, or even ask for more money after the contract has already been signed. This often results in major legal battles which may not necessarily go in the parents favor.
- Extensive medical process: Surrogate pregnancies may include many medical procedures for the surrogate and donating mother. This expense has to be born by the expecting parents. The process may seem long and draining for some.
- Cost could be high: If a surrogacy is performed in countries like the U.S., for instance, the cost can be quite high. This is often the case for couples, who for some reason or another, want their child to be impregnated and born in their (the parents) country of origin.
HOW MUCH DOES SURROGACY COST
From the above list, I think you will agree with me that the pros seem to outweigh the cons. At least that is my personal opinion based on my experience with surrogate parents who have stayed at my bed and breakfast in Delhi. If you agree with me and are currently thinking of having a surrogacy, the next question you are probably asking yourself right now is, “Just how much does surrogacy cost?”. A very valid question, considering budget constraints caused by the economic turmoil many are facing today.
I briefly mentioned above that the cost of surrogacy is much more in countries like the U.S. and U.K., but much cheaper in countries like India and Thailand. Now to be more specific, I will detail the actual costs of surrogacy in India, more specifically the surrogacy cost in Delhi, since this is where my business is established (bed and breakfast in Delhi), and where many happy surrogate parents have come to stay during their surrogacy pregnancy. These costs are general estimates which include the entire medical procedure, and inclusive of the surrogate mother cost in Delhi (locating a surrogate mother and bearing her expenses during the entire pregnancy period), as well.
The average price of a gestational surrogacy in Delhi (traditional surrogacy will obviously be cheaper), at this time (including both the medical procedures and the surrogate mother cost in Delhi) is roughly $20,000, as compared with the same procedure being done in the U.S. for roughly $50,000. . Besides the surrogacy being done for around half the price in Delhi than in other parts of Europe and the western world, finding a woman willing to rent her womb in Delhi is much easier than in the U.K. and U.S., respectively. What is more, the laws in India protect the surrogate mother along with the expecting parents on an equal footing, so neither party has to worry about any foul play happening or misinformation being given before, during or after the surrogate pregnancy. One can have a surrogate pregnancy in Delhi, India knowing full well that the rights of the parents and the surrogate mother are protected, which is often not the case in other parts of the world where surrogacies are performed.
Once you factor in the pros of surrogacy, along with the surrogate mother cost in Delhi, it makes sense to make the trip to India to have a surrogacy pregnancy. If your are convinced of the benefits of surrogacy in this part of the world (Delhi, India), then please do come visit and stay with us during your medical vacation. We will be more than happy to guide you in any way we can and make you feel right at home during this time.
Check out some happy surrogate parents who have stayed with us at our bed and breakfast in Delhi, here: http://www.vylodging.com/
For more information about surrogate services offered in Delhi, visit:http://www.